Sunday, October 13, 2013

BLOGTOBERFEST13 (Day 13): Egg, still, silent, stagnant...cannot be seen

HIDDEN TO SURVIVE. If you are a delicious egg in a shallow nest on the ground, you want to blend with your environment. (Art by Hallelujah Truth)
Hallelujah for blending in to survive being predated! Hallelujah for the apparent wisdom of evolution! Hallelujah for the American oystercatcher and its patterned eggs that blend in with the surface on which they are laid, thus foiling their predators!
AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER EGGS. See the humble vulnerable nest of the American oystercatcher. (Photo taken on Sapelo Island, Georgia, by Tony Martin)
Today is the thirteenth day of Blogtoberfest, and I continue to make a drawing each day of October that is related to the life-cycle of the American oystercatcher. Yesterday, I posted images of the oystercatcher parents with their eggs using heart-shaped patterns on their eggs and in their surroundings (see this blog). I wanted to see if I could take this heart-shaped pattern and make a new busier, yet softer image of the American oystercatcher eggs and their surrounding environment. This image below is what I created.
USING COLOR BUT THINKING IN BLACK AND WHITE. Using hues of red and blue, I made this image of the oystercatcher nest planning on changing it to black and white on photoshop. (Art by Hallelujah Truth)
My mantra is this: Not good. Not bad. Just is.

I repeat this mantra now because I am struggling with freeing up a way to look at the image of the American oystercatcher nest and how I, Hallelujah Truth, want to communicate that in a creative drawing. I waver as I begin experiencing doubt and judgment. Why not just have fun?
HAVING FUN. Photoshop allows me the opportunity to play with color, hue, intensity. I wanted to convey the oystercatcher eggs as being masses of life floating and drifting in the universe. (Art by Hallelujah Truth)
BUBBLES, LIFE, ENERGY, EGGS.(Art by Hallelujah Truth)
Did I succeed in making the eggs still, silent, stagnant...almost invisible, as Jen Hilburn, ornithologist on St. Catherines Island, Georgia, and my collaborator, described?

That's Coffee with Hallelujah. SOUL BLOG with me and tell me when have you be still, silent, invisible? Why?

1 comment:

  1. I love how it looks with the camouflage..wonder how it would look with the sand color...I need to learn Photoshop...it looks so much fun...

    ReplyDelete